You can use any juice or liquid, even chocolate to make granita and the process is super easy. Just prepare your liquid mixture and pour it into a baking pan. Place the pan in the freezer and set a timer for one hour, then give it a stir to redistribute the ice crystals that are beginning to form. Repeat this simple procedure twice and that’s pretty much it! It needs an overnight stint in the freezer to solidify. An hour before serving you scrape it with a fork and the delicious results are granita! Voila!
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice, from approximately 1 large lemon
- 2 cups fresh red or pink grapefruit juice
- 2 tablespoons Olive Gourmet Grapefruit White Balsamic
- zest of 1 medium grapefruit
- zest of 1 medium lemon
- zest of 1 medium lime
- 3 tablespoons Grand Marnier (optional)
- In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, bring water and sugar to a boil. Stir until sugar is dissolved, about a minute or two. This is called a simple syrup. Set simple syrup aside to cool.
- When completely cooled, add all remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into a 9x13 inch pan and place in the freezer for one hour or until mixture begins to turn icy at the edges of pan.
- Remove from freezer and stir with a fork, scraping icy mixture off of the edges. Return to freezer for another hour and repeat stirring to redistribute ice crystals. Mixture will be quite slushy at this point.
- Return to freezer for another hour then stir again with a fork. Cover and freeze overnight or at least 4 hours.
- An hour before serving, remove granita from freezer and use a fork to scrape frozen mixture down the length of pan forming icy flakes. Cover and return to freezer for 1 hour. Serve scoops of granita in pretty bowls. (Granita will not form a solid scoop like ice cream or sorbet, but will be more like a bowl of delicious flavored ice crystals.)
Lightly sweetened whipped crème fraiche adds a nice creaminess to this bracing granite. A splash of Grand Marnier takes the already wonderful granita to the crème de la crème level.